9 July 2016

Here's why you should learn how to code.

Over this semester at Uni, I've developed a new found obsession with coding. 

 Generative series, Assignment 1

At the start of the year, I had to pick an elective for the semester that had just passed. I probably spent a good month looking through what seemed like 10 subjects max that I was actually eligible to enrol into. There was this one subject called Introduction to Creative Code which sounded okay. At this point, I was desperate to enrol into any class so, after I skimmed through the subject description very briefly, I enrolled myself into this subject.
I've done HTML & CSS code in the past and I was expecting this first class to be spent going over the basics in HTML but I was so, so wrong.

So I showed up at the first class for this subject and I had absolutely no f*cking idea what was going on.

After that first 3-hour tutorial, I was so unsure of what I was doing that I considered dropping the subject, but 13(ish) weeks later, I can say that staying in that subject was one of the best things I'd ever done.

 A Book That Cannot Be Printed (process), Assignment 3

I feel like now would be an appropriate time to say that if I can do it, then you can too. It definitely isn't an easy thing to learn, but it's definitely rewarding and hella satisfying. If you're not convinced, here are 5 reasons why you should learn how to code.

1. It's like learning a new language
Learning a different language is always cool. It takes time to become fluent, but you'll get there if you put in the effort. The moment when you fully understand how a line of code functions is seriously wonderful.

2. You understand how computers work 
You probably use one every day without knowing how it's actually making things do things. Once you know how to talk to a computer, you'll realise that they're just really dumb machines.

3. It's an interesting skill to have
Not going to lie - it's awesome being able to tell people that you know how to code, and it's not a bad skill to put on a resume. People are always intrigued by good interactive design and even more intrigued by people who make that good interaction happen.


4. You can solve problems
I was at a conference a few weekends ago and a guy mentioned that his mate hacked into his Uni's library to make the books that he borrow never become overdue - all using code. I mean I'm not saying that you should go to these sort of lengths, but using code can definitely make things so much more simple for you in some situations.
 
5. Whether you like it or not, it's the future
The world is turning digital. We're seeing robot surgeons, Starbucks machines and a great new marriage of Pokemon and Augmented Reality. You either get left behind, or adjust to the times and embrace this rapid digital technology boom.

-



SOCIAL MEDIA
Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat

No comments:

Post a Comment